Thursday, May 15, 2008

Gloam and Gloom








Now that the sculpture I worked on for months is at the foundry I've been able to start a new three-dimensional piece and pick up on several paintings. The new sculpture is a composite of experiences of both wounded and killed-in-action Marines. More than once I've seen Marines gently cradling the head of a buddy as a corpsman works feverishly. I also share with you a painting of two leathernecks setting in for the night just after sunset under a rising moon surrounded by the beautiful hills and fields of eastern Afghanistan.

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

The sculpture is very touching even in the beginning. Pulls at my heart.

The painting is lovely with a calming almost sad feeling in the gesture of the men.

Thanks for sharing.

Bag Blog said...

The new sculpture is very moving. I attended a slideshow on sculpting and sending pieces of art to the foundry - very interesting. I am still hoping to take a workshop on sculpting.

It seems you did a painting similar to this one a while back. I love your colors.

Joanna said...

That sculpture is amazing.